Re: We are not the alternative

Judy Seigel ( jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 13 January 1997 4:35 PM

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Terry King wrote:

> Perhaps we should be trying to find an alternative to 'straight'.

In 1905 Alfred Stieglitz used the term "crooked photography" in apposition
to the term "straight photography," which was already in use, especially
by that know-it-all blowhard, Sadakichi Hartman. (Someone sent me the
Stieglitz citation after I'd begun using -- and defending -- the term and
calling myself "crooked photographer.") But I don't think the name fits
here at all -- and I certainly would never think of platinum printing as
"crooked."

> She called it 'The Special Photographers' Company'
>
> I like it.

That would be a hard sell in this country Terry -- aside from all the
other questions about meaning and cliche, "special" in this country is a
euphemism for retarded, brain-damaged, or emotionally disturbed. Hence
"special education," "special child," etc.

Judy