What is green ?

Philippe Monnoyer ()
Tue, 14 January 1997 3:19 PM

Ok Jeff, you wrote:

>GREEN IS GOOD, YELLOW IS YUCK

>(temporarily ignoring the water)
>Fe2(C2O4)3 is Ferric Oxalate the Sensitizer (green)
>Fe(C2O4) is Ferrous Oxalate the Exposed Sensitizer (yellow)

>The sensitizer reacts to light, heat, or time as follows:

> 3Fe2(C2O4)3 => 6Fe(C2O4) + 3(C2O4)

I think we can not say that Ferric Oxalate is really green. I would call it
bright greenish yellow. Ferrous Oxalate is clearly yellow.
But, Jeff, I was talking about the complex salt K3[Fe(C2O4)3] (hydrated).
This is really like fluorescent green !!
Look, I just check in the Handbook of Chem. and Phys.:

Iron (III) Oxalate: Fe2(C2O4)3.5H2O Yellow powder
Iron (II) Oxalate: FeC2O4.2H2O Pale Yellow Powder
Potassium Iron(III) Oxalate: K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O Emerald Green powder

I've been told that some use it instead of simple Fe2(C2O4)3.
So, guys, any comment .... ? What colour is your ferric oxal. all. Frankly
green or greenish yellow ? I bet you use K3Fepetermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk (C2O4)3.3H2O ! I have some
more litterature on it, I'll be back with it.

Philippe
Philippe MONNOYER
Ph.D. Student
Laboratoire de RMN
Facultes Universitaires Notre-Dame de la Paix
rue de Bruxelles, 61
B-5000 Namur
Belgium

Phone: +32 81 724601