Re: Liquid Light and Rice Papers

Judy Seigel ()
Thu, 16 January 1997 12:43 PM

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Risa Horowitz wrote:
> >Why not consider platinum palladium. This
> >will provide a much better image than liquid light, unless that's the
> >look you want.
>

> Jeff,
> Thanks for the suggestion, but the reason why I can't consider it is the
> cost. Since I'm not 100% familiar with the look of liquid light, I can't say
> for sure, but from what I hear, the muted, soft look is definitely what I want.

Risa, I surely agree. At risk of ruffling some esteemed feathers I must
say thought of experimental 3-D work in platinum/palladium -- well, talk
about rolling of the eyes! (Like pinwheels.)

However, my sense of Liquid Light jseigel@panix.com (which I freely admit I myself haven't
done) is that the "muted,soft look" is less inherent in the medium than a
factor of the substrate -- how much of what gelatine or polyurethane and
what kind of sized/unsized paper it's put on. As it is in gum printing, I
might add.

And one other thing, Risa. You're planning to put your hands in the
selenium toner?

Cheers,

Judy