Re: Names, names...

Judy Seigel ()
Tue, 21 January 1997 4:37 PM

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Peter Marshall wrote:

> On your side of the Atlantic you may be able to call kallitype and salt prints
> non-silver, but over here we know too much!

You're probably right, Peter. I'm sure none of the people over here who've
been printing van dyke brown, salted paper and kallitype, among others,
since 1968 or so, learning them and teaching them in courses called
"Non-Silver Photography," know that there is silver in them!

Is it necessary to point out some of the other inconsistencies and back
formations we use every day in language for convenience, custom & clarity?
That the sun may not shine on Sunday? That we address a letter with the
salutation "dear" when we hate the person? That "grandfather" may not be
very grand? And that daily we use metaphors from "drop dead" to "eat your
heart out" that are not intended to be taken literally?

But I see that we're dealing with some very literal thinkers on the top[ic
(platinum printers nowadays do tend to be literal-minded, tho it could be
considered provocative to say so, so I shall refrain), looking for an
exact fit. Which brings some fairly clunky phrases, such as (let me see if
I can get it right) "Alternative Emulsion Processes." Really! You can't
even say it if you can remember it. (I read it first as "Alternative
Emission" processes.) Can you see that on the poster? In the catalog? Oh
boy, Catherine, how many students do you think would sign up for that?

And I will add that it is in fact no more *accurate* than "Non_silver" or
a number of others broached, because some of the processes we have
discussed on this list use standard emulsions (often if not always) --
like pinhole, toning silver gelatine, cliche verre, etc.

The point is to find a phrase which can be said and remembered,and even
more important, has a certain amount of snap, spark, appeal, life, or
some sense that the subject has a certain spirit, charm, and energy beyond
a manual for industrial waste disposal. If our pursuit is esthetic and I
believe above all it is -- that may be the strongest bond uniting us,
despite our personal differences about what actually *is* esthetic -- then
better to forget the whole thing then saddle ourselves with a clunker.

Oh, I get it -- Industrial Waste Emulsion was a plot to make us love
plain old "alternative processes." Not so bad, now that I think of
it......

jseigel@panix.com (:-?)

Judy