Re: Pin holes in my litho

Bill Agee ()
Wed, 22 January 1997 11:10 AM

>At 01:32 PM 970122 +1100, you wrote:
>>In the making of enlarged negatives using litho film and dilute developer (eg
>>HC-110 1:7 in 1:4 dilution) nasty little pin holes show up.
>
>Because lith film is high contrast, the pinhole problem is greater. My
>"cure" is to add 0.5 grams of PEG 4000 101522.2625@compuserve.com (polyethylene glycol 4000) per liter
>of developer. This is a wetting agent that does not react with the
>developer, and insures almost immediate wetting of the entire emulsion. This
>lack of instantaneous wetting is ordinarily the major cause of the pinholes.
>
>Sil Horwitz, FPSA
>Technical Editor, PSA Journal
>silh@iag.net

An additional idea is to pre wet the film in a water bath. This is
something I do for my infrared film which has a tendency to pin hole. It
works quite nicely. Try one to two minutes of pre wet before putting the
film in the developer. I understand that Ansel Adams was a proponant of
this technique.

Bill Agee

Bill Agee 714-644-6103 voice
Photographer 714-644-6184 fax
Red Silver Press billagee@redsilver.com
P.O. Box 4440, Laguna Beach, CA 92652 http://www.redsilver.com

...infrared film is the window to a world we cannot see...