Re: gum control

Terry King (101522.2625@compuserve.com)
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 19:53:58 -0500

Larry

Message text written by Lawrence Shapiro

Terry,

Terry King wrote:

>> 4.One per cent unhardened size between coats. Works well with no
>> degradation.

>How do you put this on? Do you use the same procedure that you
>memtioned when sizing paper for pt/pd?

Yes. Dry the print after development then size and dry again before the
next coat. No need for humidification of course.

>With regards to the gum vs gloy controversy, gloy is much easier to
>work with. It seems to go on much easier than gum and does not require
>"smoothing" with a second brush. I coat the paper using a foam brush
>and uneven coats are a thing of the past. Gloy prints also seem to be
>more "hardy" when they are being developed. Using gum and trying to
>brush away density was a very very tricky business. Gloy prints stand
>up to the brushing or water spray but you can still remove density
>without ruining the print in the process. The only problem for us
>Yanks is getting the stuff. Fortunately, after my trip to England I
>now have a reasonable supply. I have tried some glues available in the
>US and they do work to create an image but so far I have not found a
>brand that I would readily substitute for gloy. Perhaps when I use up
>my current gloy supply this wil force me to experiment with domestic
>brands.

I agree with everything you say. I too have tried other glues. Henkel are
unhelpful. They say that they will not sell in bulk or to the N American
market.

DS tried but there is only so much one can expect.

Reminds me of the time when I was commuting between London and Glasgow when
there was a bread strike. I was having to buy bread and kippers before
catching the plane home every night.

We can arrange supplies of Gloy for those coming to the Spring meeting now
to be early in June.

Terry