Re: daguerreotypes

Wm. J. Clark (wmjclark@ricochet.net)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 01:40:46 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:38:39 +0000 (GMT), you wrote:

>Some time ago Robert Schlayer (I hope I got that right) was very successfully
>making daguerreotypes. Back then (late 1980s) he was making images of sleeping
>railway employees which he processed on the roof of his car. He was working in
>New Mexico - maybe Russ Young knows if he is still at it.
>Catherine Rogers

I have before me a "dag" made by Mr. Shlaer (his is not a common
name-spelling) at a fine 1-day workshop in Durango, Colorado in the
"late '80's". I am among the subjects. I can recommend his
image-making and his teaching skills (and his sense of humor!).

He did indeed process in a giant plastic cargo-carrier clamshell
mounted atop his auto. I hope he is still at it. I was astounded
that anyone was making pictures by that potentially-deadly method.

Bill Clark

wmjclark@ricochet.net
Scottsbluff Nebraska USA

p.s. I am neither sleeping nor employed by a railroad! <g>