Re: Scala tangent

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Sat, 01 Feb 1997 14:22:12 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Edward Meyers wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Tom Ferguson wrote:
>
> > I spoke too soon in praising Scala for the original step in making enlarged
> > negatives. My first two attemps were still lifes with very low contrast (I
> > often shot in very soft light, then over develop the film to bring the
> > contrast up. Often much nicer that using "hard" light). The results
> > looked REAL good. But when I shot even moderately contrasty scenes, ..
> > Well, Terry is right (it is contrasty stuff. I can throw these negs
> > away.). Unfortuanetly in Southern California, the only lab that processes
> > this stuff will only do a 1 stop pull. I'm disapointed, and didn't want
> > anyone else to take my original comments and run with them.
> >
> > tomf2468@pipeline.com
> >

> > >My own experience is that if you pull Scala by five stops you get a
> > >reasonably good image with a good range of tones.
> > >
> > >At its rated speed it is unacceptably contrasty.
> > >
> > >I suggest rating it ASA 32.
> > >
> > >This may ring a few bells.
> > >
> > >Terry King
> >

> Did anyone ever try shooting Agfapan 100 negative film and
> processing it in the Kodak B&W reversal processing kit? Or
> even shooting T-Max 100 and doing same? Ed Meyers

I know I've mentioned this before, but it was a while ago, the best
reversal system of chemistry I know of is produced by Sprint Systems of
Photography in Pawtucket, R>I. It will reverse almost anyfilm (the results
with T-Max 100 are especially lovely) is not overly contrasty and in fact
has adjustable contrast by varying the amounts of several of the chemical
components used in the process. I have used it to make interpositives from
B&W prints as an intermediary to generate an enlarged negative. Their 800
# is 356-5073, ask for Marlaine.

John