Re: Charles E. Fairman

Robert Hudyma (rhudyma@netcom.ca)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 19:27:48 -0500

At 06:47 PM 30/01/97 -0500, Terry King wrote:

>Is 'hake' the Japanese or the Chinese for 'brush' ?

My Japanese dictionary lists the word "hake", it is written with 2 Kanji
characters, the first one can be pronounced: "ha" means print or printing.
The second kanji can be pronounced: "ke" which means fur, hair, down or
feather.

A possible literal translation might be: printing with hair.
The English translation offered for "hake" in my dictionary is: paint brush.

I don't have a Chinese dictionary handy, but based on the pronunciation
I'd venture to say that this is a Japanese brush and word
rather than a Chinese one.