Re: Names, names...

Eric J. Neilsen (ejnasn@laplaza.org)
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 12:45:54 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, John Rudiak wrote:
>
> > How about renaissance processes?
> > According to the dictionary it not only relates to a specific period in
> > art, somewhat before the processes we are concerned with, but also relates
> > to a rebirth, and a transition from ancient to modern ideas. Seems to
> > just about cover what we,re talking about here, and has a good, marketable
> > ring to it. I look forward to seeing what this starts.
>
> Excellent....
>
> Judy

The name game here started with Richard Sullivan asking the question,
"what are we?". Classical?

Are we searching for a marketing name or an umbrella name
for universities to attract students to specific classes? What ever you
call it, the ends is to create an express of thought that reaches an
audience and has an impact.

somewhat conected to, directly connected to, the camera (an eye,
be that a pinhole, or elaborate studio set up and large format) and a
recording medium. it is still photographicly based. The rub is to get the
audience to hear what you have to say. To have a rebirth, it must first
die. Photography, non silver, alt - photo has never died. " I not dead,
I'm just resting" - MP the holy grail. The images will speak for
themselves, and their mediums will follow on the coat tails as the images
commmand respect.

Calling them, classical, renaissance, X, D, alt, will not matter .....
if we create appreciated art, the names will follow. If the idea is to
create an image, perhaps we should just get some " minute mask", flash it
and be done, it will be gone in a few minutes.

If the name game is an attempt to bring in an audience, be that students
or buyers, let it reflect the possibilites. There can be no renaissance
without substance. Call out to the students and buyers with images of
lasting art. Hands on photography, (Palladio users need not apply).
Putting a name "Renaissance Photography" onto a course listing would
probably bring more art historians in to the rolls than it would modern
artist, (todays photographers/print makers).

EJ Neilsen