Re: What will it do?

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Fri, 07 Feb 1997 16:25:21 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Peter Bergstrom wrote:

> > Do not try dodging and burning in though as that could lead to carcinomas.
> > Turn it on and leave the room until the exposure is complete.
>
> Last spring, Dick Arentz showed his portfolio to the photography class I
> was in and he described how he dodges and burns his platinum prints using
> tissue paper torn into the appropriate shapes and placed on the paper to
> block light. I believe Edward Weston described this same technique in an
> article from the 30's or 40's.
>
> Pete

I use cut out tracing paper as "masks" in my printing. They can be
layered. This will not work with a point source type light unit as the
edges show too clearly, but with a diffuse light source (banks of
flourescent tubes) it is ideal. The tracing paper is placed on top of the
glass that is on top of the negative/paper sandwich, and the thickness of
the glass (3/8" in my case} is enough separation not to show the edges of
the tracing paper. Frederick Sommer used this technique to produce his
prints in his 8X10 enlarger. The masks, even if layered, can be stored to
produce duplicate prints in the future.

John