Carbon Pigment Density

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:28:35 -0700

<x-rich>>Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 21:51:29 -0800

>From: Gordon Chapple <<gordonch@ix.netcom.com>

>Subject: Carbon Pigment Density

>To: Alt Photo Process <<alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>

>Comments: "alt-photo-process mailing list"

>I have been printing carbon for several years using homecoated tissues.

>While I have not had many problems that I could not figure out, there is

>one that I haven't been able to crack and could use some advice. When I

>print sky or large areas in the zone 7 to 8 range I get a blotching that

>appears to be from the gelatin shrinking as it dries, resulting in an

>uneven distribution of pigment. I have tried several different gelatins

>but have not eliminated the problem. I am currently using a 150 bloom

>Hormel gelatin and sumi ink. Can anyone give me some tips on how to

>eliminate this problem.

>Tired of blotchy skies.

>Gordon Chapple

>gordonch@ix.netcom.com

Gordon,

I'm not a carbon printer but you might try our deionized ossein. We started stocking it for alt-photo work because of many on the List requesting it. It's a 250 Bloom gelatin that's had all the reactive stuff removed and is specifically manufactured for photographic work. It's also imported from England, Terry's homeland, which must make it good. I'd be curious as to what this might do.

Dick Sullivan

<center>Bostick & Sullivan

PO Box 16639, Santa Fe

NM 87506