Re: Cranes paper

Jeffrey D. Mathias (Jeffrey.D.Mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 18:06:40 -0800

Judy Seigel wrote:

..., but if you mean Crane's Crest it is -- or used to be -- available
> in large sheets, tho where you'd get it I don't know. ...

To All,

How to get paper ? (a strategy I enjoy useing)

1) I call paper manufactures and ask for samples and for major
distributors in my area. (many have 800 numbers from 800 information)
Keep professional. They don't know who I am. For all they know, I
could be the largest account their distributor will get.

2) when I find a sample that seems to work, I contact the distributor
and ask for a sample from the same lot I intend to order from. I have
even visited the sales reps with a stack of Pt/Pd prints. Once I even
went to lunch with a rep. They seem to enjoy a break from their
routine. They don't see too many Pt/Pd prints. Some have been amaized
that the papers they sell could be used for such a purpose. A good rep
usually feels obligated to help you find that special paper.

3) if you like that paper, order 500 full size sheets, or more if you
can afford it. This will keep the distributor happy and keep yourself
stocked for a while. (You never know when you wish you could find some
of that paper you used way back when.)

> Meanwhile -- HELLO? Are you still there???? Isn't anyone going to tell me
> why, what I shall now call "Cranes Cover" (so you know what I mean) is
> popular for platinum printing... Please?
>
> Someone is hiding something?

Judy,

I do not believe that anyone is hiding anything.

Your impression that Crane's Cover is popular for Pt printing my be just
an impression. Maybe when someone finds a paper that works they stop
looking for more. I don't. There are many papers that are popular with
me and for different reasons and purposes.

Of the Crane's line try the Distaff Linen sometime. It may need some
help with sizing. But, it has provided me with outstanding results on a
couple occations.

Also, Crane's Cover is a thicker paper with less tendancy to curl or
wrinkle like the thin papers such as Bienfang 360. Purhaps this is a
reson others like it. However, even the thinest paper could be dry
mounted to a paper that resists curling.

And, if anyone starts talking D-max. Pooh-y ! Black is not absolute
black. There is much more to life than D-max. By the way, I find that
blacks seem to be deeper and richer with Distaff Linen than with the
Cover. Although the Cover seems to give more depth. It's a matter of
personal preference.

I believe that chosing a paper is a very personal decision. It may be
just coinsidence that several folks have chosen the Crane's Cover. My
advice: Do not concern yourself with what is popular to others, do
select what you feel is right for you.

Jeff