Re: Cranes paper

Keith Schreiber (KEITH@server.ccp.arizona.edu)
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 19:17:24 -0700

On 14 Feb 97 Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Gary Auerbach wrote:
> > I have been using this paper for p/p prints for eight years now. It
> > has a beautiful surface finish. It is ecru in color, very warm.
> > the watermark is a bother, and I sift thru sheets to get a sheet that
> > is clear in the crucial area of my prints.
... snip

> Gary, It isn't clear to me from your message which paper you're talking
> about, but if you mean Crane's Crest it is -- or used to be -- available
> in large sheets, tho where you'd get it I don't know.
... snip

> Meanwhile -- HELLO? Are you still there???? Isn't anyone going to
> tell me why, what I shall now call "Cranes Cover" (so you know what
> I mean) is popular for platinum printing... Please?

Hi Judy and everybody,

I'll attempt to clarify Gary's message since I am very familiar with
his work. The paper he is refering to is known as Cranes Kid Finish.
I am familiar with 2 varieties (colors): white and ecru. I believe
the item codes on the boxes are AS8111 and AS8116 respectively. It
well be made in other colors, textures, patterns, etc. I get mine
from a local stationery store. I don't have the B&S catalog here at
the office but I seem to recall that they do have it in a size larger
than 8.5 x 11. Am I right Dick? It is rather thin, a text weight
paper - probably 20 or 24 pound, so working with it in large sizes
could be tricky.

As for the Cranes Cover or "Parchmont" as I have known it, I will
agree that this paper is rather bland as far as its surface qualities
go. However, I have found it to be a wonderful backup for those times
when nothing else seems to work. Until recently, my paper of choice
was Cranes "Platinotype" and every once in a while I would get some
wierdness going on that I couldn't figure out the cause of. After
exhausting all chemical possibilities I could think of, I would try
changing to "Parchmont" and the problem would inevitably be gone.
I wonder if other workers have had similar experiences.
Now, through my own research and with much help from various
list-members, I have found a much wider array of papers that will
work well for pt/pd.

And by the way Gary, one of these - Simili Japon - is made by
Van Gelder in Holland.

Cheerio,
Keith
Keith Schreiber, Rights and Reproductions
Center for Creative Photography, University of Arizona
PO Box 210103, Tucson AZ 85721-0103
Fon: 520-626-5164 Fax: 520-621-9444
Email: keith@ccp.arizona.edu
WWW: http://www.ccp.arizona.edu/ccp.html