Re: Tween 20 vs. Ilford Ilfotol

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 19:09:19 -0500 (EST)

Hi Carlos,

I hope none of my students are on this list because I'm going to mention
that they can, from time to time, be pretty ditzy.That probably surprises
you, but I have a reason for mentioning it: I've never seen them have a
problem with unevenness or anything else coating Van Dyke Brown. In my
experience, coating kallitype is quite similar to coating VDB. In other
words I was surprised when you indicated that your beginners had problems,
leading to the use of Ilfatol.

I hesitate to guess about this, since clearly you are a maven* of
kallitype, but what are you using to apply? We use foam applicators (I
used them for palladium, too), since they handle easily and don't soak up
too much emulsion (especially if you dampen them in advance with a cc or
so of distilled water). Could the problem be due to the glass rod?

And what paper? My experience is that different papers coat very
differently. A more absorbent one might take the glass rod better, a less
absorbent (ie, with less internal/surface size) might tolerate the Ilfatol
better.

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Gasparinho wrote:

> I canceled my appointements for today to further test this.
>
> Result: My students are learning to coat faster than I expected!

But you are an inspiration. My dream of course is to cancel all
appointments before making them.

*word I learned from Terry.

Cheers,

Judy