Re: Van Dyke questions

Cor Breukel (cor@ruly46.medfac.leidenuniv.nl)
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 09:54:21 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Bruce McCaughey wrote:
<snip>
> to standard and there is a grainy texture. What I need to know is if the
> result would be better if I added or reduced the sizing. Some sizing is
> required to bind the pulp together during the processing and washing. Does
> the Dmax increase with more or less absorbance into the paper.Is it also
> possible that the Hercon 70 is effecting the chemicals and causing the
> prints to fade.

..I only can repeat my experinces (which I posted before): iniatially I
used Arches Grain Torchion, 100% rag, sized, my VDB suffered from
considerable bleeding in the Thio. fix, thus loosing Dmax, changing to
another paper (Canson Forteney, non-sized "mixed" paper) "cured" this
problem. Don't know about the permanence though (will find out soon, since
I have one combined Cyano- VDB print up at an expostion for a month now,
has been in constant light (24 hours a day), so maybe it's gone
now..;-)..have to check it out..) ...

> Obviously I need to do some more testing but if any one has any
> hints to put me on the right track I would appreciate the help.
> Bruce

Cor Breukel
http://ruly70.medfac.leidenuniv.nl/~cor/cor.html
"The Infrared Gallery"