Re: Tween 20, mottling and grain

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:46:14 -0700

<x-rich>>Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 05:58:49 -0500

>From: Terry King <<101522.2625@compuserve.com>

>Subject: Re: Tween 20, mottling and grain

>To: Richard Sullivan <<richsul@ROADRUNNER.COM>,

> "[unknown]" <<ALT-PHOTO-PROCESS-L@sask.usask.ca>

>Comments: "alt-photo-process mailing list"

Terry says:

>Whether you are using cyanotype, kallitype or platinum too much solution

>leads to puddling and uneven finishes. The simple solution is to size the

>paper first. That way a single coat will give you good gradation, even

>covering and HGOD through effective and safe self masking..

Why is sizing the paper simpler than using Tween and letting it sit for a minute before drying? With the Tween we are getting good Dmaxes even on Martin's paper on which he recommends double coating. And resizing Platine? Yikes!

>> Even with the traditional developing

>>out platinum, the yellow of the ferric oxalate prevents a very deep

>>exposure of the emulsion. Again any wash off reveals the paper base.

>I have never had this happen. And my ferric oxalate is a beautiful green.

Ok. Yellow green, I'm very color blind, I only go on what I've heard. And of course, I'm not saying everyone has these problems, only us mortals, Terry. And what I'm referring to is quite subtle. It may take a very discerning eye to detect it.

>A gentle brush gently used should avoid this but I tend to avoid papers

>with such over sensitive surfaces.

I tend by the nature of my job to inherit other people's problems. I would avoid those papers, but I had Michael Silver once printing on the backs of chewing gum wrappers. (His mentor was John Cage, so what'd you expect.)

Dick Sullivan

<center>Bostick & Sullivan

PO Box 16639, Santa Fe

NM 87506