Re: Ferric ammonium citrate

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 22:42:29 -0700

S. Izzo wrote:
>I found Dick Sullivan's message about ferric ammonium citrate most
>interesting. I recently purchased a large quantity of the chemical
>from him. I first used it to mix up some cyanotype (using formula
>in Keepers of Light) and noticed no difference in the solution or
>the resulting prints. Then I used it to mix some Van Dyke. When I
>added the silver nitrate solution, at the first drop it began to
>curdle.

>I should mention that unlike his experience, I have had good results
>using the very odd-looking solution.

Well I filtered the yellow stuff off. That's the silver. I was being dumb.
I've made many Kallitypes with a yellow silver oxalate, by just stirring it
up and coating it on.

Now the problem is should I add a small quantity of citric acid to each
batch to make it like the old "impure" stuff?

Dick Sullivan