Re: Van Dyke questions

Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 07:44:32 -0800

I too have been working with hand made paper and alt-process. I have not
been working with Van Dyke, so my comments may or may not be applicable. I
have found that it is impossible for ME to get as good a D-Max as on
factory made paper. I BELEIVE this is due to the fact that the fiber to
fiber bonds in hand made paper are not as tight or strong. This can be
improved by using Hollander beaten paper (as opposed to a kitchen blender)
and by using a strong press during the first drying stage (I'm poor, mine
is simply a few layers of marine plywood and heavy duty carpenter's
clamps), and by double coating. The amount of internal size seems to play
a big roll in the amount of chemical needed to coat, but not much in D-Max.
Do consider (I find in needed) double coating your hand made paper, and
let it dry twice as long as you would factory paper. Hope this helps.

tomf2468@pipeline.com

Bruce McCaughey <dcav@unixg.ubc.ca> wrote:

<SNIP> Van Dyke prints <SNIP>
>Question #2 The prints are also not getting a very high dmax to start with.
>I have used the same chemicals on another paper and the dmax is much darker.
>This is were it gets too complex for me. The paper I am using is my own hand
>made paper using rag linters and a liquids sizing called Hercon 70(this is
>an internal sizing not a surface sizing). I have used the recommended amount
>of sizing in relationship to the linter but this was not designed for the
>Van dyke process. The results are OK but could be better. The dmax is not up
>to standard and there is a grainy texture. What I need to know is if the
>result would be better if I added or reduced the sizing. Some sizing is
>required to bind the pulp together during the processing and washing. Does
>the Dmax increase with more or less absorbance into the paper.Is it also
>possible that the Hercon 70 is effecting the chemicals and causing the
>prints to fade.
<SNIP>