Re: Ferric ammonium citrate

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 14:58:11 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Dennis Klinker wrote:
> Hi Dick it was interesting to see your posting on the list regarding
> FEC i work at a college in North London and recently we have had
> problems with VDB giving problems of staining when the print is wet it
> looks fine but as it dries the prints are covered with what looks like a
> silver stain. This happens with all types of paper i have filtered the
> chemistry but still the problem remains i have gone so far as to
> pulverise the FEC in a mortar& Pestle to see if this could be the
> problem but to no avail.The formula is the standard one in the Keepers
> of Light and distiled water is used any ideas what the cause could
> be.TIA dennisklinkerdenklik@demon.co.uk
> --
> Dennis Klinker

Hi Dennis,

You don't say if you've ever made VDB before without this "silver stain."
If so, have you changed the paper and/or your method of drying? It sounds
like what we call "bronzing out", which I've found very much a product of
heat-drying the freshly coated paper. Try airdrying in the dark with just
an electric fan, if you think that could be the trouble. Also, some
papers bronze more readily than others. It's my recollection also that
papers with an *added gelatine size* bronze out more, as well.

Be sure to let us know when you solve the problem.

Cheers,

Judy