Re: Personal variables

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 00:50:09 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Richard Sullivan wrote:

> Back in my studio one printer flatly declared that platinum prints could
> not be made on Gallery 100. No way! Period! He said. Our own John
> Rudiak of the List just quietly pulled out a set of platinum prints he
> had made of artifacts from the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown....
> All gorgeous prints, and of course all on Gallery 100. > > > Both
> printers were top knotch, both knew their craft, and both were quite
> gentlemanly about their disagreement, though John got the upper hand
> having proof pudding of his side of the argument.

A possible variable not due to personal style could be the paper lot --
David Aldera says the season the paper is made can be a crucial variable
in platinum. I forget which paper it was, maybe an Arches, but I recall
him saying it could only be used for platinum when it was made in winter.
A couple of printers he sells to buy a sheet or two, try it, then come
back for the rest if it's OK.

The David Kennedy new darkroom story reminds me of my college roommate's
story about her father the baker from Hagerstown Maryland who made big
profits during WWII so rebuilt the bakery, got rid of those moldy old tile
walls, etc. The bread was never as good again, she said. (Tho surely in
due time enough mold will accrue in the new darkroom..)

cheers,

Judy