Re: In Defense of Terry

Ron Silvers (rsilvers@oise.utoronto.ca)
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 05:03:50 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Michael J. Coslo wrote:

> Terry has never treated people on this list with any
> disrespect. Disagreeing with someone should not be considered disrespect.
> Even pontification is okay by me, it is my choice to accept the advice or
> not.

As someone who has been insulted by Terry on more than one occasion and on
more than one list, I can say that what you write here is difficult for me
to understand and accept. I can only ask that you check the archives on
threads on this list dealing with the aesthetics of alternative processes
(sometime last year), and Truth, Concept, and Reality in October 96.
After reading them, make an assessment of whether Terry's manner of
disagreeing is done with respect.

> > What nasty, heavy, and snide
remarks has Terry made? I have personally gotten some of those remarks
from some people when this list has gone into one of it's (fortunately
infrequent) spasm's. But never from Terry.

Have you ever disagreed with Terry? Have you ever asked him for the
sources his conclusions? I have, and I have never received an answer.
Received instead something to the effect: I don't need a reference as an
authority for what I write,.. or It's all in my original posting, read it
carefully. On the surface of it, such replies might seem genuine and
appropriate: but not when there is a disagreement and when you are trying
to get at the source of differences; not when you openly seek answers, or
when you announce that a posting can be read as potentially insulting. In
these contexts I find these comments to be non-answers. And have you ever
received a response which tells you that your comments are too long?
Again, I have. Have you been told, that that is enough discussion on the
topic just when you are asking difficult questions? Yes, again.... There
is in my experience an accumulative effect to all this: namely, that of
controlling list topics and discussions, and then some.

> This is everyones list, and if anyone doesn't want to listen to
> what Terry has to say, their mailreader probably has a filter to not accept
> his posts. If not maybe they should get one that does. But they will be
> missing a lot.

I entered this list a couple of years ago thinking this was everyone's
list. And I contributed my thoughts to it in my first few months, but as
time went on and as I received nasty responses and diversions to my topics
by Terry, I came to reconsider carefully before further posting my
thoughts. Eventually, I stopped writing anything substantive. The spirit
of participation was no longer there for me. No sudden, conclusive
decision not to post on my part; rather, the excitement to extend myself
into discussions ebbed and then was gone. Lately, I've asked a question
or two, commented on what is possible or not for the list or entered into
discussion about the list's name. But no, nothing substantive.

When I look back at this, I realize that self-censorship has slowly and
subtly crept in for me, and I take responsibility for it.

In terms of my own background and inclinations I value well reasoning
together, experimenting and discovering without the intrusion of egos.
Such is present on the list as I noted in the posting about David's
contribution to platinum printing. Following Judy's comment, I asked
Terry to cease his tactics and allow full participation. His
answer to my message was loud and clear: avoidance of the problems I
raised; general statements that went elsewhere. In other words, a
non-response to what I requested. Read the subtext of his remarks.

Ron