Re: Cyanotype exposure time in winter sunlight

Karen Molloy (Karen_Molloy.PILOT@pilotsw.com)
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:22:54 -0400 (EDT)

Ron Connelly wrote:
>I'm using the Photographer's Formulare cyanotype kit, which uses the same
>formula as in Keepers of Light....Oh, my prints took about an hour to
>expose in Seattle's February sun. Isn't this a bit long? Any less, and my
>highlights washed away.

I'm not surprised at the 1 hour exposure at all. I can tell you that during
winter here in Boston, MA , USA, I don't even bother printing cyanotypes in the
sunlight. In the midday sun in the summer, my exposure time is about 5 minutes.

The archives of this list probably have info on building light boxes as an
alternative light source. I personally like working in different mediums at
different times of the year, and save cyanotype printing for the summer months.

Karen Molloy

kmolloy@pilotsw.com