Re: Contrasty Cyanotypes

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:02:08 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:

> I have printed in Andover MA, Phoenix AZ, Philadelphia PA, and Tampa
> FL. I've had the best satisfaction from prints made in Phoenix (sun
> only). Second best location was Andover (sun only), then Philadelphia
> (sun & light box) . I have had the most difficulties with printing in
> Tampa (light box & sometimes sun). I can't help suspect the humidity.
> (The humidity increases as my satisfaction decreases for these four
> locations.
>
> I would recommend that any student experiment with direct columnated
> (sun) and diffused/dispersed light (under a tree or in a light box)
> sources.
>
> Jeff

Not to be picky, but only informative, but I believe columnated light
refers to light from a condenser, where the light rays are parallel, the
sun being a point source. (Any physicists out there?) hence the root
"column". Anyway, I have noticed the biggest difference being about a one
grade increase in contrast from printing in the sun, due (I suppose) to
the callier effect, similar to what happens when comparing printing with
a condenser enlarger verses a diffusion enlarger. Does this sound similar
to your findings?

John>