Re: UV transparency

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 02:23:37 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997 REMKiksAss@aol.com wrote:
> All you need to block the UV coming out of a flourescent light tube is clear
> plastic. Kitchen plastic wrap will work. Therefore many manufacturers of
> flourescent tubes put the plastic coating on the glass. They sometimes use a
> plastic tube over top of the glass one, this helps prevent breakage, and if
> the glass breaks the pieces are contained.

Matt's message & this thread remind me of something seemed strange I
noticed this week. I was masking around the edges of a gum print. I
grabbed a piece of thin card, which didn't quite reach, so I filled in
with a piece of goldenrod paper. Although both areas washed off
ultimately, the part under the goldenrod paper clearly got a fair amount
of exposure. I suppose that paper isn't opaque to UV light (and it's not
fully opaque to tungsten for silver printing either, I've discovered).
Any ideas what it is opaque to, and why?????

Judy