How to create a local copy of the Archives.

Gregory Walker (gwalker@netcom.com)
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 21:04:54 -0600

At 11:59 AM 2/27/97 -0500, Michael J. Coslo wrote:
> I have downloaded the archives in html format. When I unzip them,
>the largest archives present me with a problem. When I try to open the
>files in Netscape, I get a message that there are too many files to
>list.Netscape will not show mopre than the first 1000 files....

Here are a few tips for creating your own copy of the archives from
the zip files:

1. Create a directory to hold all the archives. Let's call it
"altphoto" for this discussion.
2. Download the zip files into your "altphoto" directory.
3. Unzip the archives, using the appropriate command line options
to "preserve directory structure" and "convert ascii files."
For the freeware Info-Zip program the command would be:
unzip -a alt94.zip
For pkunzip the command would be:
pkunzip -d alt94.zip
4. You will now have a subdirectory named "alt94" that contains
all the HTML files for that year.
5. For the years that are split into two zip files, doing the
unzip on each of them will automatically fill the subdirectory
for that year or half-year.
6. In your web browser display the Alt-Photo-Process archive home
page (see location in signature below). Now do a "save as"
command and save it in the file "index.html" in your toplevel
directory, which is "altphoto" in this case.
7. Voila! You have created the structure of the online archives
and in your web browser, always open the file "altphoto/index.html"
to start reading. There will be no problem of the top-level
directory containing too many files.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled alt-photo-process discussion.

Gregory Walker gwalker@netcom.com
Alt-Photo-Process Archives -- http://www.zilker.net/~gwalker/altphoto/
Digital Daguerreian Archive Project -- http://www.zilker.net/~gwalker/digidag/