Re: Starch Sizing

Ginger Sheridan (sheridan@art.ohiou.edu)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 15:48:29 +0800 (U)

Reply to: RE>Starch Sizing

I would also like to know about this. Just last night my husband asked me
about potatoe sizing - he is a painter, but thought he remembered about
potatoe sizing for photos. I did remember autochromes but had to admit that I
didn't know about potatoe sizing - could that be starch sizing? Since he
heard about it from a book conservator, I figure it must be the same thing.

Thanks, Ginger in Ohio

--------------------------------------
Date: 4/10/97 3:07 AM
To: Ginger Sheridan
From: Jason Revell

I have been using a gelatine sizing for a while now for kallitypes and can
remember
reading in various books that you can achieve warmer tones by using a starch
sizing.
But in none of these books can I ever remember seeing even a rough idea of
the
quantities used to make it. Is it just the same as gelatine but to use
starch powder instead?
If so has anyone tried/tested the various starches available to see if
different results
are obtained or if some work better than others. I am keen to try this out
but would be
grateful if some one could point me in the right direction.

I am also keen to try a starch sizing as instinct tells me it's probably
more archivaly
sound than a Gelatine size, even though I have been using a quite pure
gelatine.
I know conservators use starch based adhesives rather than animal based
one's,
I presume for this very reason.

jdrevell@aol.com