Re: Palladium BWK, warmer tones

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 05 May 1997 11:34:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Beakman wrote:
> To which Judy, who is not normally seen hanging around with us Pt/Pd
> deviants, replied:

Dave, you are too kind...

> I'm wondering if the metal at the bottom of a "Hot Pot" (that's what we
> called them when I was in college, anyway) or the metal immersion coils
> would react with the developer or muck up the print in any way by
> percipitating some metals or somesuch. Anyone have an answer?

I think those metal immersion coils are pretty impervious -- they're going
into food, remember, but it would only cost about $3 to try one & tell for
sure. The inside of the hot pot, on the other hand, is ferociously
corroded. I fill it with water and immerse a glass beaker. The effect is
surprisingly rapid, but the amount is small, and, as noted, there's no
control.

I have used my electric fondu-maker (yes in the long ago, before there was
cholesterol, we made fondu) which has a control setting, but again the
capacity is small, and I have been reluctant to put bad chemicals in there
in hopes that one day they'll repeal cholesterol.

Jack's idea of the stainless steel beaker in the frypan sounds better,
though capacity would still be relatively small. Meanwhile, for a
non-corroding, heat-resistant *tray* , Pyrex bake-ware works very well and
comes in a size that fits 4x5, another up to about 9 by 14. It doesn't
solve my problems, but is probably big enough for some platinum printers.

A reasonably priced appliance to heat reasonable amounts of liquid to a
reasonably controlled temperature is a photo product I think there's still
a market for. Another is a tongs that doesn't drop your print on the floor
or leave tractor treads, like the great old one dollar now demised Star D.
Another is my perfect little 5 ml glass graduate with a wide mouth, clear
markings and sturdy base that I know I will break one day and nothing like
it any longer exists... (Are you there Mr. Sullivan?)

Judy