Re: Palladium BWK, warmer tones

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Mon, 05 May 1997 10:18:15 -0600

>Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 10:04:26 -0600
>To: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
>From: Richard Sullivan <richsul@roadrunner.com>
>Subject: Re: Palladium BWK, warmer tones
>
>>On Sun, 4 May 1997, Beakman wrote:
>>
>>> Finally, I'm not sure whether I want the added warmth of the heated
>>> developer or not, just yet. But in case I do, does anyone have good
>>> suggestions for heating the developer up to steaming temp. I have been
>>> putting a brown plastic half-gallon jug in a water bath, but it gets so
>>> soft when hot that it makes me nervous. :)
>
>Judy postulates:
>>Try sticking one or, depending on volume, two, of those coils sold for
>>making tea in your hotel room in the tray. Tape them onto the edge.
>>They'll make developer nice and steamy, but temperature won't be constant.
>>I also heat things in the "souper" (an electric soup heater daughter had
>>at college). Surprisingly quick, but again, no temperature control.
>>
>>Judy
>
>Great idea, but I have a question. If the tray is plastic or hard rubber,
won't it melt if the coil comes in contact, even if it is under the
solution itself?

>Metal trays are a total no-no with pt and pd printing and I suspect
kallitype as well. Eikoh Hosoe went through about $1000.00 worth of metal
salts with almost no image at all about 10 years ago. We were going nuts
shipping new material and info being faxed back and forth to Japan. Eikoh
had been to my place and had printed with me and new what he was doing.
After two weeks of madness and an hour long phone call from Japan he
mentioned stainless steel trays (20 x 24's at that!) and I had and instant
Gestalt. "Oh stuff", I said (or words to that effect, it's a family forum
here). Plastic trays were obtained in Tokyo within the hour by messenger
and all went well from there on.

>I am also a little blase about most hazards, but having electric wires
running into my tray of highly conductive developer and considering the
developer can become corrosive and considering there are lots of nice
grounds (earths to the Brits) about to see what kind of a fuse your body
can make, sounds a little scary to me. If you do this, make sure the coil
is plugged into a ground fault interupter, this little Jim dandy device is
the best and cheapest form of electrical protection available.

>Dick
Bostick & Sullivan
PO Box 16639, Santa Fe
NM 87506