Re: POP Prints

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Thu, 15 May 1997 14:40:52 -0300

At 11:44 AM 97/05/14, Sil Horwitz wrote:
>At 06:58 AM 970514 -0700, you wrote (to alt-photo-process group):
>>Question to this very knowalageable group - A friend has discovered some
>>red proof prints (POP paper?) From 45 years ago that are in very good
>>condition. The people are still reconizeable. Can the deterioation be
>>stoped by placing these prints in hypo and washing them? If not is there
>>some other way to "fix" them?
>
>If they have lasted for over 45 yrs, I doubt the "proof" prints were on POP
>paper unfixed, as they would be long gone by now. You can test a small

Actually, museums and archives get them from time to time. If they were
kept in the dark they often have a recognizable image and this can often be
enhanced using modern computers, as Sil explained.

Once you have copied the originals somehow (remember to minimize their
exposure to any light) you may want to experiment fixing the most
expandable print in a 10% solution of hypo followed by a wash, or possibly
a gold toner. In theory, the image should get lighter and change color.
This may be an improvement. Use at your own risk.

Luis Nadeau
nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada