Re: style (was stylus)

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Sat, 31 May 97 09:06 BST-1

<<
Hmmmm. My powers of higher reasoning tell me that, since both the original
question and his "answer" were to the list, a reply to the list is in
order, especially since there may be non-English-as-a-first-language
readers who find the discussion of current usage relevant and useful. >>

Judy

I think this whole controversy raises issues that are not particularly
appropriate to the list. English is an internationally used language and I a m
afraid we will find no clear consensus about this particular matter of usage
world wide.

I'm sure that your comments are true so far as those writing in some circles
in the USA are concerned Judy. but they would not be considered mainstream in
the UK, although there are some circles where they would be heartily approved
of. However I read very day documents in which the older convention is still
in use and this is certainly still a normal practice here (if one that I
personally avoid, although I still happily continue use of mankind, human
etc.)

My fairly recent copy of 'Current English Usage' says on this matter that
there are 3 possible responses (I summarise and slightly re-organise)
a) "to continue with the traditional practice, as any careful writers still
do"
b) to adopt such forms as 'he or she', 's/he', or use he and she alternately
"as some academics and journalists in the main have done" (it does points out
at some length the possible confusions this may cause)
c) to avoid use of singular third person pronouns in various ways (including
the use of the plural pronoun 'their' with 'anyone', 'each', 'every' etc.

The authors comment: "To make a deliberate choice of policy (a) or policy (b)
above is probably motivated by beliefs and assumptions that go beyond
questions of style in language. Unless you want to make an ideological
statement in support of the traditional or modernist position it is best to
follow the most linguistically neutral choice of policy (c).

So - I think both you and Luis are correct - within particular spheres of
English usage. On this list, so far as I'm concerned - everyone is free to use
pronouns in the way _they_ feel fit.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s/
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm//pm/