Re: Calumet Catalog new Cyanotype??

Francesco Curcio (francesco.curcio@galactica.it)
Sat, 31 May 1997 22:11:36 -0700

fontpro@usa.net wrote:

> I just received the new Calumet catalog and noticed two kit, one for
> Cyanotype and the other Argyrotype. The Cyanotype kit says:
>
> "This kit features a revolutionary single-solution sensitizer with
> ammonium iron (III) oxalate instead of the traditional citrate, which
> offers improved light sensitivity and substantial shelf life without mold."
>
> $67 for 50ml sounds kind of pricey.
>
> Anyone have a formula or tried this process?
>
> Thanks
>
> Macy

You posted ten days ago, but I don't remember reading an answer.
The New Cyanotype (as it's usually called) has been created
by the British chemist Mike Ware to overcome the disadvantages
of the traditional process. Ware has made his article
'The New Cyanotype Process' (originally published
in 'Ag+ Photographic', vol.7, 1995) available in his web site:
http://www.mikeware.demon.co.uk/ together with a wealth
of educated work and information on alternative processes.
You'll find there the formulas and much more.
An article on the New Cyanotype has been recently
published by John Barnier in the US magazine Photo Technique,
Jan/Feb 1997, pp.12-15. Barnier tests ten different papers
and agrees with Ware's claims about the improvements on
the traditional process.
Pre-mixed kits are also sold from Bostick&Sullivan.
You can mix your own sensitizer at a cost as low as
3-4 dollars for 100 ml. Don't do that without reading
and following the safety rules on manipulating
the chemicals needed. Ammonium dichromate is a nasty
chemical to deal with and Ferric ammonium oxalate is
also toxic.

Francesco Curcio