Re: Paper for Albumen Printing

Ron Silvers (rsilvers@oise.utoronto.ca)
Sun, 08 Jun 1997 09:49:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Jonathan R. Richardson wrote:

> The Strathmore drawing has worked the best but it is very difficult
> to coat. The second it hits the solutions it curls up into a soda straw. I
> have tried folding the edges and it has helped some but it is almost
> impossible to keep the solutions off the back.

Jonathan,

In Mike Robinson's Albumen class here in Toronto this past winter, we used
Strathmore Artist's Drawing paper Single Ply Plate Finish, which is
different from Strathmore 500 that you mention. Mike listed Strathmore
500, BFK Rives, Saunder's Waterford and other hot press papers as
recommended.

The curling that you describe is a natural tendency of paper when it hits
the solution. Bending the edges helps you hold and control the paper in
the solution. When first placed in the solution, you have to work against
the tension of the paper to curl [holding it down *gently*] at the upright
bent sections and in a short period of time it will go into its next
stage: it will relax and float.

As to the fading of your image when fixing in thiosulfate, I'm not sure
why this would happen. Mike Robinson would be the best person to answer
this question. Perhaps he is away from the list at this time.

Ron