Gum Print and Color Separation

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Fri, 06 Jun 1997 00:58:38 -0300

FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

><< I understand that years ago Steven Livick, Canada's legendary gum printer,
>had brush marks put in the negatives for his color separations. >>
>
>Judy, do you know if he used screened (halftoned) negatives or traditional
>continuos-tone separations? I haven't seen many of his works but am impressed
>by the accuracy shown in Scopick's book.

I interviewed him for one of my books some years ago. He used half tone
negs produced by Herzig Somerville (sp?), a high-end Ontario offset
printer. I seem to recall however that he used pigments used in offset inks
and claimed that the prints would therefore be permanent. This is a common
mistake that many people have made over the years. 99.99% of all
commercially available offset 4-color ink sets are NOT permanent...

If you want "gum prints" that look like conventional photographs, the
UltraStable process on a regular support will do the trick. It will also be
easier to use and much more permanent.

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada