Re: Paper for Albumen Printing

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 09 Jun 1997 02:02:24 -0400 (EDT)

> On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, Ron Silvers wrote:
> > The curling that you describe is a natural tendency of paper when it hits
> > the solution. Bending the edges helps you hold and control the paper in
> > the solution. When first placed in the solution, you have to work against
> > the tension of the paper to curl [holding it down *gently*] at the upright
> > bent sections and in a short period of time it will go into its next
> > stage: it will relax and float.

In an article on albumen printing in one of the photo magazines some 15
years or so ago Bernice Cutler Halpern described a technique that
apparently handled the curling problem: she pasted two sheets of the paper
back to back, and, as I recall, they separated unaided in the wash water.

There's a medium possibility I can find the article & give the citation,
if no one else has it. But I got the impression at the time that this
was the standard approach....

Judy