Re: New Epson printer

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Mon, 09 Jun 1997 11:33:59 -0300

At 1:32 AM 97/06/09, Judy Seigel wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Jun 1997 CHPalmer@aol.com wrote:
>> Your comments on the new Epson sounds very promising. Instead of a paper
>> negative, how about a new negative made as a contact print onto a
>> panchromatic sheet film (to make sure that all six colors of dots make it
>
>What's the advantage of using all six colors -- better gradation?

Certainly

>And the panchromatic film is to respond correctly to the colors? But that
>would either limit you to 8x10 or start to get so costly it would approach
>linotronic, seems to me. Especially since you might have to order 2000
>sheets to get 11 by 14 or larger....
>
>> in my postings about digital methods a couple of months ago, it shouldn't be
>> too much trouble to adapt the output of the Epson to most B&W alt-processes.
>
>Except for size -- how big can the Epson printer print?

Legal size, 8.5 in. x 14 in., I think. They have larger printers however
that will eventually use the same technology. They will cost more.

>Also, you or someone mentioned panchromatic film for speed with paper
>positive: The difference in exposure time isn't that great. I contact
>through doubleweight fiber base paper onto lith film with times about 20
>seconds at f 5.6 or f 4. If continuous tone isn't at issue (the positive

Panchromatic films tend to be a lot faster.

>will be in dots) -- unless you've trying to copy color -- I'd say lith
>film would be a better bet: It copies dots very well, comes in all sizes
>and cheap.

Make sure you get panchromatic lith film. The dots are extremely fine so by
the time you get the exposure through the paper fibers you may not have a
usable screen... There is room for trial and error here.

Luis Nadeau
nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada