Re: Gesso sizing

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 19:39:44 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for all the info, Bernie -- I'd written you in some detail about
gesso, etc., when my server crashed, as it so often does.. This will be
briefer--

mainly I wondered whether you made that hanky into a Blanchard brush or
held it loosely in your hand --- I find it makes quite a difference. I
had best results with the formulation I was using with Blanchard brush..

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997 Bernard104@aol.com wrote:
> I am still using Rives BFK mostly out of inertia at this point. Although
> every once in a while I'll buy a rougher paper to play with.

Rives BFK really is true blue.... I keep vowing to use it, and then
somehow don't. Bought a big bunch so I would..... Maybe next week.

> I don't remember where I read about sanding the gesso I will try to look it
> up.

I'd say that depends on how rough the paper is to start with. (Do you
preshrink?)

> There was a discussion a while back about the fugitive nature of Alizarin
> Crimson what red are you currently using for your tri-colors? I haven't
> found anything yet I like as well.

Officially I use Quinacridone red, which has the highest light-fastness
rating. I buy the Daniel Smith because it's cheapest. Recently I bought
another tube of WN Alizarin, however, because I couldn't match an old
formula without it. Supposedly it's OK mixed with an earth color (I do it
with black) which they say screens out UV light, tho that's no help for
tricolor. I had thoughts of adding just a tad of carmine to the
quinacridone... I've also gotten Perylene Maroon, another beautiful
lightfast synthetic, but haven't worked with it a lot.... also not for
tricolor, of course...

I don't by the way think new formulations of alizarin are all that
fugitive, but our standards have gotten higher than they used to be..

cheers,

Judy