Re: Hand coating

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 00:20:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Dennis Atherton wrote:

> . . .
> experiments were needed I coated by hand using a Meyer bar.
>
> A Meyer bar is a stainless steel rod that has been tightly wound with
> stainless steel wire. It is used in the same way as a glass rod in that
> a pool of whatever it is you are coating is pushed along and spread by
> the bar.

Just to add to the info, these are also available in the USA through most
lab supply houses. They are commonly used in labs for the paint industry to
test coatings.

I tested one for my coatings (both gelatin size and a gelatin/gum mixture)
and found that as viscosity changed with temperature the coating thickness
also changed. They do work if viscosity is constant.

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA