Re: Gum consistency and preservatives.

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 06:54:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Judy Seigel wrote:
> . . .
> >
> > "The Water-Soluble Gums" by C.L. Mantell, Ph.D.
> . . .
> And I'll find it at one of the stands selling books on 6th Avenue? OK,
> just my little joke. I suppose there's a library in town may have it....

Uncanny, I saw it on a newsstand right next to the Star at Stonehenge;
Elvis was behind the register unfortunately my processor seems to have
lost the film. I think this one came out a University somewhere in
California; inter-library loans can get you just about any book in the USA.

> > I use .25%, your 100 grams will last you quite a while. By the way, this
> > stuff isn't real friendly so wear a respirator while handling the powder.
>
> Anyway, you mean you would add one quarter percent of the thymol to a
> given quantity of gum, rather than mix up a percent solution and take x
> number of drops?

Good idea, I just use such a small amount of gum in my process that I just
batch up fresh gum about twice a year at 14 Ba and then add .25% of the
total solution volume in thymol by weight. I don't believe that this has
to be very exacting.

> The gum I'm doing these tests with is Light Impressions powder, so fairly
> clean. I'm still trying to assess the role of the "pasteurizing."
> Considering what you and R. Sullivan have said I hypothesize:

Dick's analogy to pasteurizing is a good one, though in milk products it is
done to knock down the bio-burden(kill the bacteria). In our case the
thymol chemically kills and bacteria and/or mold and the heat deactivates any
enzymes which can also deteriorate a gum solution.

I've bought my gum solution, powder and/or synthetic substitutes from
Graphic Chemical out of Chicago (good source of raw pigment, gums and
paper). Their business is suppling printers so I've always thought that
the grade of gum is correctly selected.

> (including the ancients) have always or sometimes made gums starting with
> dry gum arabic without heating with no (known) bad effects. What would
> the enzymes do or not do?

When living things break down their food for use it is done by enzymes,
Fortunately, enzymes can be deactivated or destroyed at modest
temperatures. However, if left alone they will do their god intended
function and break down organic matter, ie gum and gelatin. Gums are
collected by people off of trees and in the process you get a lot of
things free.

> Well they told me that the enzymes are in the bacteria, but if thymol is
> added (or formaldehyde, or salicylic acid added) that would kill the
> bacteria anyway. Wouldn't that cooking be more for food uses where you
> don't like to add poison?

No, enzymes are not alive so the thymol can't kill something that's
already dead.

I apologize if any of this is slightly incoherent, I've been greeted
back to my work by 12-14 hour days planned out through the next two
week-ends.

I hope this helps, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA