Re: Fresson Conjecture & Testing

Art Chakalis (achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us)
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 14:31:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997 Jadlupp@aol.com wrote:

> In "The Handbook of Alternate Photographic Processes" by Jan Arnov (Van
> Nostrand Reinhold, 1982), there is a chapter on Fresson prints. She uses a
> gelatine and pigment, white sugar, alcohol, honey and sugar syrup (Karol)
> mix. The warm mixture is brushed on the paper, and allowed to dry. Then a
> sensitizing solution of Potassium dichromate is applied by immersion, dried,
> exposed, and then soaked in room temperature water for four minutes. The
> image is abraded away by using a warm "sawdust soup" mix, and then everything
> cleaned and sealed in cool water.
>
> Don Upp
> Michigan

Yes, I've tried this formula, not quite the same.

Actually, a literature search will reveal there are numerous "Fresson"
formulas. I believe I tried most (if not all) of them over a 10 year
period of experimentation. Actually, the best one I found used powdered
water color pigments in a gelatin base. If you are interested, some of
Luis Nadeau's books provide a fairly comprehensive listing of the various
stabs at Fresson print paper. I guess I would recommend his book "History
and Practise of Carbon Processes", ISBN 0-9690841-0-2

As an alternate, you can freely use what I've patented as long as it is
for your own personal prints and not a commercial printing operation. I
know this may sound self serving, sorry about that, but I think you will
find that the print quality will be closer to the real thing.

If you are interested in Fresson printing, I'll be happy to help you with
what I've learned.

Sincerely, Art

Art Chakalis
Columbus, Ohio, USA