Re: A Dumb Gum Question?

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 14:31:29 -0600

<x-rich>>Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 12:05:29 -0700

>From: Charles Berger <<cb@ultrastable.com>

>Subject: Re: A Dumb Gum Question?

>To: Judy Seigel <<jseigel@panix.com>

>Cc: SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU, alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca

>Comments: "alt-photo-process mailing list"

>Hello Judy,

>This may/may not be accurate. The light sensitivity of dichromate

>solutions are greatly influenced by the pH of the solution. The highier

>the pH, the lower the sensitivity. Over time, all dichromate solutions

>will show an increase in pH (whtether stored in a dark bottle or not)

>until they get to the point where they are virtually insensitive to

>light. Also, if the stored dichromate solution has turned a dark brown

>over time, it will act a a light-filtering dye, preventing actinic light

>from reaching the sensitized gel/gum layer.

This sounds to me like an off-line comment I made to Judy S. about some dichromate that I had sitting on a shelf that got sunlight for part of the day for several years, and in a clear glass bottle at that. I used it and it worked in reverse, I got a positive image, that is, a negative from a negative. I threw it out before I really understood the implications of what I had. I thought that it had gotten contaminated, which it may have as well. What you are saying makes sense.

This looks like a possible area of exploration.

<<snip>

Dick Sullivan

<center>

Bostick & Sullivan