Re: My Dumb Gum Question

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 23:16:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997 SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU wrote:
> [Judy] asked if my exposure times for other processes
> are reasonable. The answer, Judy, is "yes." I do remember when we discussed my
> gum exposure times a few months ago. They have always been long. I have always
> attributed that to the fact that I have used a heavy hand with the black
> pigment, but now I too am begining to suspect the ammonium dichromate. Again,

If I hadn't been struck by lightning (details to follow) I would have
mentioned that I, too, got to thinking, and recalled that your cyanotypes
were on Rives BFK, which in our classroom takes 15 to 20 minutes exposure,
while gum under the same light takes one to five minutes' exposure. If the
same ratio held in your studio, the BFK would have been six or so hours,
which you didn't mention. (Reciprocity failure sets in long before then,
anyway.)

Which does point to the "solution" (is that a pun?) being something about
the gum materials...

> thanks to all. I will report my finding to the list. Is it just me or does
> anyone else think that gum printing has more variables than any other alt
> process?

Of the processes I've done, gum has far and away the most variables,
infinite in fact, which is why it is so infinitely enchanting.... there
are more possibilities than days in one's life to try them. I once had a
student in an adult class very annoyed with me because I didn't just lay
out how to do it, like a Kodak data sheet. Turned out that in real life
the man was an actuary. (Also on the board of the distinguished
institution I was teaching at.)

cheers,

Judy>