Re: Van Dyke Toning

Jonathon Russell (Hylandscot@voyager.net)
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 15:33:36 +0000

SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU wrote:

> Van Dyke Brown prints can be toned with gold using a formula identical
> to that used for salt prints or POP which can be found in "Keepers
> of Light." Upon request, I will post this formula. Dick Sullivan has
> mentioned that platinium can be used instead of gold. I believe that
> selenium toners would not work and might even bleach a VDB print.
>
> Bob Schramm

Bob,
When I first started printing in Alt. Processes years ago, I used
sunlight as my light source. I tried gold toning VDB prints and got a
beautiful split tone effect; lavender in the highlights and chocolate
black in the deep shadows.On the image that I used (night scene of old
store front with street lights) the effect was very real looking. When I
built a bank of UV lights and tried the same treatment, using the same
image, the split toning did not work. After ckecking all of the
variables, chemistry, paper, etc., I could only surmise that the type of
exposing light caused the spit tone effect. Any thoughts from the list
would be greatly appreciated; after selling several images of this
scene, I only have one for myself.

On another thought, I join you in asking Judy to reconsider leaving the
list. I am now finding time to perhaps respond to the list instead of
lurking.

Regards to one and all,

Jonathon Russell

--