Re: Terry and Judy Debate

Ron Silvers (rsilvers@oise.utoronto.ca)
Wed, 02 Jul 1997 16:28:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Stephen R. Harrison wrote:

> So in conclusion: It takes two to generate angerin any given
> relationship. At some level , we do have a choice at what we latch onto and
> elect to respond to. And like my reaction to the fabric, we all get caught
> in our responses. We don't have to personalize anything at all because in
> reality anything anyone says about anyone on this list is probably pure
> fiction as they don't really know you at all. And last but not least, it is
> difficult to let go of pride and embarrassment and go back to work. I hope
> both Judy and Terry stay and get back to work.
> Stephen Harrison

I agree with your comment. We share responsibilities for our responses to
others, particularly our anger to them. But I must add something to move
the issue from anger to a moral and very practical concern. We cannot get
back to work if the same difficulties are not addressed, indeed if people
continue to intrude upon and incite others, and if they are permitted to
do so.

Many on this list write, "enough, enough, let's get back to alt-process
matters". How many times has this been written over months and years in
response to other episodes, and in reference to which people? A look at
the archives will reveal that it is many, many times.

It surprises me that list members have not acknowledged that severe, ugly,
harmful,disruptive exchanges have occurred before this one. They have
occurred and they will continue to reoccur so long as they are allowed.
To sacrifice Judy with "well, one of them has got to go" is immoral and
irresponsible. Also, to say the equivalent of "well, that's her
decision", and to look no further is unjust and eventually destructive to
open exchanges on the list.

To those who have written that one of them must go, to those who say
"enough", to those who simply want it to end and quietly receive and
forward alt-process information, I say: look back not only at our
archives, but to the archives of photoart and photo history (photohst).
You will find Terry central to almost every destructive fight that has
occurred on them (I say this in reference to my off/on memberships in the
past couple of years.) I have been on several lists and I know of no
person who has been so persistent in creating the frightful condition that
we now find here. In the photo art and photo hist list exchanges (I was
involved with some of these exchanges) there were blowouts with either
Terry leaving or with others leaving.

For now on this list, it is Terry and Judy. But before here, elsewhere it
was Terry against others, again, and again; and in the future if things
are permitted to persist in this way, there will be other people and Terry
in vicious battles. Consistently, with one exception that I remember, he
is the central figure in these. Eventually, who else will have to leave?

So, to my fellow list members, I say the responsibility for what is going
on and will continue for this list is yours (and mine of course). I do
not accept the sacrificing of Judy. Something needs to change. If it
does not we will have in the future more, "enough, enough, let's get on
with alt process".

I do not call for Terry to leave. That is not my desire nor is it for me
to say. But if people are to participate in an open forum, it seems to
me that he and ourselves must behave with civility and sensitivity. If they
cannot do so, then others must become involved with humanity and dignity to
curb those who violate the expression of other list members.

Ron