Re: Convert to a moderated list not!

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Sat, 05 Jul 1997 18:39:35 -0600

<x-rich>At 07:11 PM 7/5/97 BST-1, you wrote:

>> Better yet, why don't we pick a way to mark messages that are offlist and

>part of any current flame war. That way people can either filter or see

>messages that or not alt-photo oriented. No one has to read them. Most mail

>readers will filter a "contains" in the subject. We could then use something

>like "###" in the subject header. If your message said "### Roses are red"

>folks would know that it was an offlist message and it could either be

>filtered or just ignored. No one is making anyone read any message.

>Dick

>First it wouldn't work as it would be up to the posters to decide which are

>offlist etc.

>Second, if your messages are offlist there is a much simpler solution. Don't

>send them to the list!

First off people do. Once someone posts a flame to the list, the flamee feels justified in retorting the flameor. It's human nature. It is very hard for someone to declare that you are a so and so or acted badly in a certain way and then not defend yourself. True, the more Gandhi-like folks would just let their silence defend them, but not many of us are like Gandhi. Most people would feel that their silence in some way gives credit to the charges.

This overreactive feedback loop escalation was the principle cause of the recent hostilities.If we had some way to dampen it to a side neighborhood on the list, I think it wouldn't have amounted to molehill in the long run.

Posting to the ### would give honorable souls a way to have it both ways, to defend oneself against the flame's charges, and at the same time allow the uninterested a way to avoid the controversy.

I can name at least 15 people who have posted in the recent fracas, all honorable folks, and it's hard to imagine any one of those would not have posted to ###. In fact those who don't, would be in violation of the rules and could be held accountable. As it happens now, people will post to the list since they have no recourse other than silence. A moderated list would involve far more than this. It is also very easy to implement. A note from Gordon, and it is done. It sure would be easy enough to try. No muss, not fuss, no yellow waxy buildup.

Dick Sullivan

<center>

Bostick & Sullivan

Http://www.bostick-sullivan.com