Re: New with POP

munson (albuwrks@bcn.net)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 00:48:09 -0400 (EDT)

On 3 July, David wrote:

>Hi, I want to try Printing-Out-Paper, and the formula that I will use is from
>Steve Anchell, using ferric ammonium citrate, tartaric acid, and silver
>nitrate. However, I have some questions before I start:
>
>1. Is POP the same thing as salted paper in The Keepers of Light?
>2. Do you think POP is relatively easier or harder than gum print?
>3. The above formula is called "warm-tone POP." Is there a cold tone formula?
>4. Where can I find more information/instructions on POP?
>5. Is there any danger with the above chemical. I don't mean the usual legal
>stuff where everything is dangerous, but is there any known danger like
>extremely poisonous or when heated or mixed with such as such will release
>toxic or fatal fume?
>
>Thanks a lot in advance!
>
>David Soemarko

A contemporary publication with a basic gelatine POP emulsion formula (and
lots of other good stuff on making and using gelatine emulsions) is:

Martin Reed and Sarah Jones, "Silver Gelatin, A User's Guide to Liquid
Photographic Emulsions", Working Books, 1995 (UK) and Amphoto Books, 1996
(US).

Doug Munson
Chicago Albumen Works
Front Street