Re: Toning Polaroid Prints

Larry Bullis (lbullis@ctc.ctc.edu)
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 11:34:15 -0700

Assuming that the lack of permanence of a Cu toned negative is
acceptable, do you think that the warm brown tone would offer greater
printing resistance than the colder selenium?

I have long used image tone in negatives to alter contrast, even with
silver prints. Printing pyrocatechin negatives on multicontrast papers
offers lots of interesting, if oddball, control possibilities, for
example. I found that very often brown negatives aren't very practical
with cyanotype. If they happen to be right on, the results can be
stunning, but getting them just right under the odd lighting conditions I
like is difficult at best.

>At 10:57 PM 97/06/24, Larry Bullis wrote:
>>
>>Regarding the negatives, I once used the harmonizing process that is in
>>Photographic Facts and Formulas (bichromate bleach, redevelop in
>>non-staining developer) to change the scale of a Polaroid negative, then
>>copper toned it. The negative looked really incredible, and gave a
>>rather wonderful print on silver paper. I would think this might work
>>well with uv processes as well. The color of the negative was well into
>>the brown range.
>
>Don't expect copper toned negs to last very long. Selenium toning should be
>ok however.
>
>Luis Nadeau
>nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca
>Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada