Re: Van Dyke Problems

Richard Sullivan (richsul@roadrunner.com)
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 10:02:51 -0600

<x-rich>>Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 09:37:41 +0000

>From: John Lowen <<autochrome@worldnet.att.net>

>Subject: Re: Van Dyke Problems

>To: haller1@albany.net

>Cc: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca

>Comments: "alt-photo-process mailing list"

>Does anyone know how permanent the Van Dyke prints are - if they are

>displayed out of direct sunlight.

>John Lowen

I recently put some @ 20 x 30 inch Van Dykes made in in the early 70's on my website www.bostick-sullivan.com. I was very much into John Cage at the time, so I was pretty much part of the "shit happens" school of photography. I coated with a small natural sponge held in bamboo print tongs, the coating was intentionally crude, so there is often some streaking. I mention this because I don't want folks to mistake variations that were part of the process at the time, for aging.

Since I don't have any reference standard from when the prints were made for comparison, it is hard to say for sure whether or not there has been any degradation in the prints in the 20+ years since they were made, but from my observation, I think they are essentially as there were when made. I must also mention that I was not very careful about washing, etc. I was raising two kids on a civil service salary at the time and could not afford trays large enough for, so they were processed flat in my homemade (and leaky) darkroom sink. Washed just by flowing water over them from a hose.

I also have some ideas on washing alt-photo prints which will be in a separate message.

Dick Sullivan

<center>

Bostick & Sullivan

Http://www.bostick-sullivan.com