Re: Van Dyke Toning

Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pppipeline.com)
Tue, 01 Jul 1997 08:35:24 -0700

I'm sure you are correct, but I question if it would be enough change to be
worthwhile. I remember reading about someone who did POP prints in
sunlight, and changed contrast by putting some in direct sun, and some in
open shade (which would be more "blue" light). It may have been Linda
Conner???

I tested this because I was teaching a class, and knew that some (most)
students wouldn't go home and immediately build a UV tube box. I only
found a small difference in contrast. About One "Platinum Grade". Not
enough to be useful. If you experiment with colored glass, let us know.

I will be leaving very soon for a few weeks in Costa Rica. When I drop out
of this or any other thread I've been in, it isn't because I'm ignoring
you. It's because I'm on vacation :-)

tomf2468@pipeline.com

Jonathon Russell <Hylandscot@voyager.net> wrote:
>Tom,
>Your response, taken to its logical conclusion, seems to indicate that
>we could change the contrast of some alt.proc. by changing the color of
>the light source. I seem to remember reading long ago an old manual on
>platinum printing that said to use blue glass in the contact frame to
>increase contrast or to change the angle of the frame relative to the
>sun for the same purpose. Any thoughts from the list?
>I agree with you that since we are contact printing, the point light
>source theory isn't valid.
>
>Regards to all,
>
>Jonathon Russell
>--
>"Expose for the Secrets,
> Develop for the Surprises!"

Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Anti "Spam" return address in use, remove 2 "p"s from "pppipeline" for
correct return address.