Re: Fresson Conjecture & Testing

Dennis Klinker (DennisKlinker@denklik.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 03 Jul 1997 09:25:23 +0100

In message <Pine.3.07.9706230730.A7037-c100000@login>, Art Chakalis
<achakali@freenet.columbus.oh.us> writes

>Dennis,
>
>I apologize for being so short. your note seemed to infer that a simple
>phone call might be a new idea. I've had their address, phone number and
>price list for quite a while now. They will share the process only
>through the sale of prints, information is not a consideration. I may
>have approached it all wrong though, you may give it a try at your
>convenience.
>
>If you are interested I can add to your list of reading. I believe that
>you will find that the information has been successfully kept a secret by
>the Fresson family. However, there are numerous published formula's
>and conjecture, I'm trying to add some scientific testing to the pot and
>debunk some of the myth. The exact details of what they do may never be
>known but as in most chemical or mechanical processes, there are several
>paths to the same end result.
>
>Despite the secrecy, what the Fresson family has done must be admired.
>Their prints are truly beautiful. I hope to achieve the same quality
>standard that they have set.
>
>Any other fresh ideas or approaches?
>
>Sincerely, Art
>

>Art Chakalis
>Columbus, Ohio, USA

Hi Art I can only agree with you,original Fresson prints have a great
beauty and i can understand why they are still popular today,and as you
mention it is a valid area for experimentation.I have recently seen some
great prints by John Grocott who is using a direct pigment process and
have seen a lovely nude study by Dr Dunstan Perera with sumptuous blacks
that look like they will soil the hands if touched.A booklet that i
obtained recently obtained called the Fresson Process by Tom
Champion from the History of Photography Monograph series published by
the Arizona State University. It is good for history but less helpfull
if one is expecting blueprints and a working procedure of the magic
coating machine. Yours Dennis
--
Dennis Klinker